Thursday, June 13, 2013

Marigold? Nope more Tomatoes!


Gardening is always a learning experience.  Gardeners are adventurous and always looking for something better while hedging their bets on the stuff they know will work.  Well this winter I decided to try Winter Sowing with a lot of encouragement from Meredith Sow Digging it.  However, if my tomatoes don't produce and everything else was a bumper crop, I consider the year a failure.  So I hedged my bets and started some inside as well.  Just to be clear I planted 15 different varieties, and I used ALL my seeds.  

Well, once Jim had my raised beds done he started gripping about the number of milk jugs.  He's most common a comment was "Are you growing a garden or milk jugs?"  So I started thinning jugs.  As most gardeners know thinning is when you go through and pull the little stuff to give room for the healthier plants.  Several of the tomato jugs did not sprout.  So I dumped them in the beds.  I'm not going to waste that good dirt either.  :) 

Fast forward to about a week ago, everything is planted, and the sun came out....Well, it did twice for a couple of minutes.  I'm out putzing in the garden and notice a clump of Marigolds.  Now, I have a gallon bag of Marigold seeds and thought, "Oh, the bag must have spilled."  Now Marigolds are golden flowers that keep bugs away and grow like weeds.  So, I just plucked them out the middle of the garden.  Then I used my handy dandy planting tool, my index finger and made a hole for the seedlings along a border and to fill in a blank spot.  In my opinion the black dirt is a background color for different shades of green that are in your garden.

Now, fast forward a week later and the sun isn't actually shining but it the best we had the last couple of days so I'm out in the garden putzing again.  I was fussing around the Marigolds and am thinking... "Wow, they really took off.  They must have been a tall variety."  I pull up the leaves and look down at the stem and immediately realize....Those are not Marigolds they are more Tomatoes!" Now I still have 48 potted tomatoes on a table that I've been kind of trying to selling.  Ok, that's what I'm telling Jim at least.  Let's be honest, I'm giving those babies away.  I was so proud of myself that I had gotten down to just 48 left.  Well, I couldn't just pull those Marigold Tomatoes and put them in the compost heap.  Nope, I potted them up too.  Not all of them.  But I'm back up to about 60 Tomatoes.  I have Surprise Tomatoes (I haven't a clue as to what type they are) and now Marigold Tomatoes.  If you need tomatoes come see me!  In the meantime after I laugh at myself about the Tomatoes I thought were Marigolds, I'm thinking I shouldn't start so many next year.  And I need to label better!  

No comments:

Post a Comment