Monday, March 11, 2013

We are all in this together.

The other day I observed a mother, father and two sons in Aldi grocery store. We were going through check out and they were ahead of me with a cart full of nearly all instant and processed food. The young men seemed fit though a bit overweight. My stomach tightened as I recoiled at the total of the cost of purchasing this type of food. I am speculating that the reason they were shopping at Aldi in the first place was to save money as I do. I wanted to scream out loud "Where are the veggies?" How are these beautiful young men going to stay healthy on instant mac and cheese and pizzas?" In my head I was on a passionate mission to show them that food is fuel and that you purchase a whole turkey you eat for a week. You purchase a pizza you eat for 10 minutes (5 if its my family).

This just reminded me of what I really wanted to do with my garden passion all along. Then my BFF sends me a link to a T.E.D. video and I ended up with tears streaming down my face because someone is actually doing what I want to do already. You eat what you know. The fact that you live in a cement jungle because that is where you can afford housing or the only reference to gardening you know is that rich people have those. Rich meaning people who have yards. Yea I'm saying if you have a yard you are rich. Because as you see in this video. Food is cash. Gardening soothes nerves, promotes respect for those things you cannot control as well as rewards hard work in a very tangible way. This ultimately is why I garden. That and my mother gardened. My grandmother gardened. My father gardened. It never occurred to me that everyone didn't. So I invite you to watch this  video and see how it affects you. I am making a pledge right here and now to be in this movement. I expect to be held accountable for this pledge and will keep you informed of my journey.
TED

2 comments:

  1. Ladies, I love the name of your blog. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.... I will laugh for hours just thinking about this. You're up and running; I've added you to my blog roll. Feel free to stop in and say hello. I'm at dummiesinthegarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your post and watched the podcast and it was fabulous. Let's all be Gangsta Gardeners!

    ReplyDelete