Thursday, July 11, 2013

Livin' on the edge


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqcL0mjMjw - Livin' On the Edge


I am pretty fortunate, I live on the edge.  The edge of the city that is.  Less than a ½ mile from my house is  Bauer Berry Farm, only Bauers do more than just berries.  They do corn too!  So what that means is that I don’t do strawberries in my backyard, I go pick them down the road.  I don’t do Blueberries; I go pick them down the road.  I don’t grow corn in my backyard, I go down the road.  They start picking corn at 6 am and start selling it at 9:30 am, and us locals all know it and they are often sold out by 11 am. 


Now a couple of days ago made my pot of coffee and instead of going out to weed, I went down the road. 
I was in line by 7 am and the first car in line.  By the time the gates opened at 8 am there was a line of 40-50 cars.  In a half hour I picked 23 pound for $48.  Traveled the half mile back home and started cleaning a prepping to make Strawberry Jam, JalapeƱo Strawberry Jam and Balsamic Strawberry Jam.  Next week I will be back at Bauer's Berry Farm to pick blueberries.  By the end of July, I’ll be all over their sweet corn. 



Here is the recipe for Balsamic Strawberry Jam (my favorite)
5 c crushed strawberries
3 ½ cups of sugar
6 tbls of Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbls of butter
1 packet unsweetened fruit pectin
 Instruction
  • Stem an crush strawberries
  • Heat strawberries, sugar and pectin in a large pot to boiling.  Boil 30 seconds, stirring constantly
  • Remove from heat and skim off foam.
  • Stir in butter and balsamic vinegar 
  • Ladle quickly in to prepared jars.  Wipe off lids and seal tightly.   
  • Put in boiling water bath for 5 minutes  
  • Remove jars and cool.  


Ps here Bauer Berry Farm web site - http://bauerberry.pointsoftouch.com/

Eat local!  

1 comment:

  1. Just a quick update - 23 pounds of Strawberry will makes
    4 Pints of Balsamic Strawberry Jam
    3 8oz jars of Balsamic Strawberry Jam

    6 Pints of Strawberry Jam
    8 1/2 Pints of Strawberry Jam
    6 8 oz Jars of Strawberry Jam

    11 8oz Jars of Jalepeno Strawberry Jam

    ReplyDelete